- This event has passed.
Analysing global R&D trends combining patent and publication information (2nd edition)
June 1, 2017 @ 8:00 am - June 2, 2017 @ 5:00 pm
This course aims at providing an introduction to publication (Web of Science) and patent (Patstat) databases and their combined use as a source for conducting researches to investigate the trends of R&D in large firms, research organisations, universities, territories, etc.
The course will be divided into teaching and training sessions with practical treatment of data related to research outputs.
The general existing patent (Patstat) and publication (Web of Science) database facilities will be presented as well as the large firms’ patent and publication database that were built by LISIS – the CIB (Corporate Invention Board) and CSB (Corporate Science Board) and Nano. Database building methods, enrichments, coverage, matching will then be detailed.
The teaching part will also include a session to query patent DBs using SQL in order to retrieve information and answer research questions.
The practical sessions will be oriented towards the analysis of R&D dynamics as well as the identification of institutional participation in the inventive activity in the field of nanotechnology and in the sector of pharmaceuticals.
Programme and contents
Day 1 – June 1st, 2017
11h-13h: General introduction to patent and publication databases.
14h-17: Description of the building steps and contents of the databases (Corporate Invention Board, Corporate Science Board, Nano database)
17h-18h: Introduction to database querying (SQL)
Day 2 – June 2, 2017
9h-15h: Practical sessions exercises and mini research projects
15h-16h: Recap, feedback, discussions with organizers
The course aims at involving up to 15 participants and is addressed to:
• Senior scientists, early career researchers and PhD students
• Policy makers at the local, regional, national and international level (e.g., European Commission)
• Research associations
Requirements for participation
- Participants will be asked whether their have any skills in querying DBs using Msql or Access (not compulsory)
- No fees to be paid
- Venue of the trainees (travel and accommodation) will be covered only in case of researchers, early researchers and PhDs coming from European countries
- No costs are covered for people not involved in research activities (i.e. people from associations or policy level)
- Participants will be selected on the basis of their interests and CV
- Notification of acceptance will be sent after the selection process is complete
- Participants attending the course can send preliminary questions linked to their experience with patents and articles as well as specific policy questions of interest.
Deadline for request participation
April 1st, 2017