- This event has passed.
Characteristics of the “Corporate Invention Board” (CIB) and “Nano” patent databases and exploration of their potential use in S&T studies
October 8, 2015 @ 10:45 am - October 9, 2015 @ 4:00 pm
The objective of the course is to introduce patents databases. It will describe the features of the CIB and Nano patent databases, highlighting their potential applications in S&T studies and provide a practical training for their exploitation.
It focuses on 2 databases:
- A database of the patent portfolio of more than 2000 worldwide MNEs with the highest R&D investments (CIB),
- A thematic database gathering the worldwide patenting activity in the field of nanotechnologies
The patent concepts, definitions, patent systems, patent indicators will be introduced as well as their potential use in S&T studies.
The general existing patent database facilities (Espacenet, Patstat) will be presented and the specificities and uses of the CIB and Nano (building methods, enrichments, coverage, applications) will be detailed. .
The participants will be trained to search into patent DBs in order to retrieve information and answer basic research questions. The training sessions will be oriented towards the analyses of technology field dynamics as well as the identification of institutional participations in the inventive activity.
See the LEAFLET
Programme and contents
Day 1 – October 8th, 2015
11h-13h: Introduction to patents and presentation of Espacenet, the on-line free patent EPO databases
14h-16h30: Practical session using Espacenet
17h-18h: Overview of the Patstat patent database (off line EPO database)
20h: Diner (Paris)
Day 2 – October 9th, 2015
9h-10h30: CIB patent and Nano DBs: description and applications to S&T studies
10h30-12h: First round of group exercises with CIB and Nano DBs.
13h-15h: Second round of exercises and group presentations
15h-16h: Recap, feedback, and discussions with organizers
The course aims at involving up to 15 participants and is addressed to:
- Senior scientists, early career researchers and PhD students
- Policy makers at the local, regional, national and international level (e.g., European Commission)
- Research associations
Requirements for participation
Participants will be asked whether their have any skills in querying DBs using Msql or Access (not compulsory)
- No fees to be paid
- Venue of the trainees (travel andaccommodation) will be covered only incase of researchers, early researchers andPhDs coming from European countries
- No costs are covered for people not involved in research activities (i.e. peoplefrom associations or policy level
- Participants will be selected on the basisof their interests and CV
- Notification of acceptance will be sent after the selection process is completed
- Participants attending the course can send some preliminary questions linked to their experience with patents and specific policy questions of interest
Deadline for request participation
July 15th, 2015
Local organizing committee
Dr. Patricia Laurens, Dr. Antoine Schoen, Dr. Philippe Larédo, Lionel Villard
Contact person: Dr. Patricia Laurens