- This event has passed.
RISIS Geo Summer School. Geocoding and clustering of large ST&I corpuses
July 4, 2016 @ 1:30 pm - July 8, 2016 @ 2:00 pm
The summer school aims at equipping participants with knowledge and tools and at enabling them to geocode and cluster the geographic data associated to their own datasets.
It addresses a growing question in knowledge dynamics about agglomeration processes in science technology and innovation dynamics.
The course has thus two objectives for researchers: (a) geocoding addresses (geo coordinates, city, Functional Urban Area, region) of their own dataset; (b) clustering and analysis of spatial distribution of relevant data.
The course aims to present to participants with the developments undertaken within RISIS, with a focus on specific issues and methods related to the uses of geographical information. This concerns the collection of unambiguous geographical coordinates attributed to the addresses (automated process) and the on-line methods for qualifying them (UPEM and VU SMS platform). Participants will be introduced and equipped with the clustering software developed by UPEM tailored for a problem-based ‘detailed’ qualification of geo-clusters and spatial analysis. The objective of the course is to apply them to participants’ datasets, enabling them to master both clustering methods first, and network analyses second.
The course will be divided into teaching parts and practical trainings sessions in the treatment of data regarding research outputs.
Programme and contents
The course aims at involving 20 participants max. It is addressed to:
- Senior scientists, early career researchers and PhD students
- Policy analysts at the local, regional, national and international levels, in public and not-for-profit organisations
Requirements for participation
- Minimum requirement deals with mastering excel and its advanced functions.
- Mastering MS access (or equivalent) and/or mastering one statistical software (R-project, STATA, SAS, SPSS…) and/or mastering one programming language will help going faster.
- Mastering SQL and/or mastering a GIS system will enable the participant to go deeper in analyses.
- No fees to be paid
- Accommodation of the trainees will be covered only in case of researchers, early researchers and PhDs coming from European countries
- No costs are covered for people not involved in research activities (i.e. people from associations or policy level)
- Participants will be selected on the basis of their interests and CV
- Notification of acceptance will be sent after the selection process is completed
Deadline for request participation
June 9th, 2016