- This event has passed.
Uses and potentialities of the CorTexT-RISIS Platform
October 6, 2015 @ 10:00 am - October 7, 2015 @ 5:00 pm
Download the LEAFLET OF THE COURSE
The objective of the course is to introduce participants to the uses of the CorTexT.Risis platform, a research facility in S&T Studies proposed under the RISIS Infrastructure Project. Thanks to short lectures, demos, worshop and practical training participants should get enough skills to develop research work on various types of DataBase that trace science and innovation dynamics.
The course will focus on three majors imputs :
- An overall view of the scientific and technological landscape of platforms of Digital Humanities and a synthesis of the key heuristics that ground the various analysis to be mobilized with the Platform.
- A step by step demonstration of how to use the CorTexT.Risis Platform: database upload and parsing, Terms extraction, Statistics and demography of entities, socio-semantic analysis.
- A learning-by-doing approach of using the various potentialities of the CorTexT.Risis Platform, with pratical session in groups.
The participants will be trained to use the various scripts offered for terminologic extraction and network analysis in order to analyse databases and frame research questions. The training sessions will be oriented towards the understanding of co-word analysis and the interpretation of graphs. Some demos will be proposed as template for the analysis of socio-semantic network in S&T dynamics.
Programme and contents
Day 1 – October 6th, 2015
10:30h-12h30: Introduction and Lectures
14h-16h30: Step by Step Demonstration with Feed-Back and discussions
17h-18h: From Database to Publication: an example of using CorTexT with the presence and testimony of Researchers
20h: Diner (Paris)
Day 2 – October 7th, 2015
9h-10h30: Work in groups on the same datasets (1): Parsing and extracting
11h-13h00: Work in groups on the same datasets (2): Datasets analysis for the characterisation of structural features
14h-16h: Work in groups on the same datasets (3): Graph interpretation and temporal analysis
16h-17h: Recap, feedback, and discussions
Local Organizing Committee
Marc Barbier, Jean-Philippe Cointet, Philippe Breucker
• Senior scientists, early career researchers and PhD students
• Policy makers at the local, regional, national and international level (e.g., European Commission)
• Research associations
Requirements for participation
- * Participants will be asked whether their have any skills in social network analysis and basic statistics
* Participants will have to bring their own laptop with an Open Office-like Bureautic Suite
- No fees to be paid
- Venue of the trainees (travel and accommodation) will be covered only in case of researchers, early researchers and PhDs coming from European countries
- No costs are covered for people not involved in research activities (i.e. people from associations or policy level
- Up to 15 participants will be selected on the basis of their interests and CV
- Notification of acceptance will be sent after the selection process is completed
Participants attending the course can send some preliminary questions linked to their experience with patents and specific policy questions of interest
Deadline for request participation
The application for participation to this training will be open until mid September